[CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not as Part ofMaryland.

Mike Fatchett mike at mallardcove.com
Mon May 21 11:56:45 EDT 2007

The rule clearly states that DC is counted as MD.

It is great that you want to be a multiplier as being in a rare multiplier
is a lot of fun.  Contesting in Montana is much more exciting than Colorado,
that is until the Aurora's hit then it is really boring!  How about an
eastern and western Colorado multipliers?  We are separated by a huge
mountain range and the continental divide.  The western part of the state
has propagation that can be quite different than those in the eastern
plains.  I suspect an argument could be made for many other geographical
issues with multipliers.

If you like the NA QSO Parties and Sprints you will probably operate them
regardless if you have your own multiplier.

There are many independent cities do not count as counties either, instead
for awards you can choose any of the surrounding counties instead.

Maybe we should make all Indian Reservations multipliers too?

I am not sure what paying taxes has to do with a radio contest.  Puerto Rico
and the Virgin Is, KP1, KP5 are separate countries for ham radio purposes
but DC is not.

How about being able to choose between the surrounding states?  The land
forming the original District came from the states of Maryland and Virginia.
However, the area south of the Potomac River (39 square miles or about 100
km²) was returned, or "retroceded," to Virginia in 1847 and now is
incorporated into Arlington County and the City of Alexandria. After 1847,
the remaining land that formed the area now known as the District of
Columbia was formed exclusively from land that once belonged to Maryland.

If ain't broke don't fix it.  Some contests have DC mults and others don't.

W0MU