[CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and Not as PartofMaryland.

dave at ka1n.cn dave at ka1n.cn
Wed May 23 10:09:59 EDT 2007

Someone said that this is "absurd."

Agreed.  The status of DC is absurd for many reasons.  Many of them are intertwined with our nation's history.  It is a city of legal and political exceptions, and exceptions to those exceptions.  Unlike other territories, its status is explicitly described by the constitution (both its geographic area, and its voting ability/inability). See Art. I, Sec. 8, cl. 17; Amend. XXIII.  The other territories come more generally under Art. IV. Sec. 3, cl. 2.  In many pieces of legislation Congress has historically chosen to include it, in addition to states, where there might be some doubt.  See, e.g., 42 U.S.C. 1983 ("Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia...").

However, you can apply the constitutional exception issue either way.

But, none of this really resolves the underlying contesting issue.  I say, YES, count it. It will stir activity, and maybe people will consider buying more property in DC.

73,
 Dave/KA1NCN
dave at ka1n.cn
.