[CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Mon May 28 16:11:33 EDT 2007

Hi all:

I've never belonged to a club, other than the local 2m club (long ago), so my comments
are basically from a neophyte, but more importantly, from someone with no vested interest.

Seems to me that the concept of circle is wrong.  What about places along the coast?
What about places along deserts?  What about etc?  Doesn't a circle hurt them?

Would it not make more sense to specify the area (sq km, etc) to be included?  So that one
does not get crazy shapes, you could impose limits on the geometry (circles, quadrilaterals,
maybe even a hexagon, etc.  No "star shapes," etc.).  You could also set minimal and maximal
 dimensions so that you don't have a spaghetti club.

That approach would permit much more flexibility while retaining some logic.  Additionally,
having all sponsors agree on a totally new format might avoid appearances of favoring an
existing sponsor's system.

Happy clubbing!

de Doug KR2Q