[CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks

Doug Smith w9wi at w9wi.com
Wed May 30 09:35:27 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 21:30 -0700, Jack Brindle wrote:
> With all the advantages the circle process has for clubs in the
> middle of the country, it is very interesting that the two clubs who

I don't know that the circle process *does* offer an advantage to clubs
in the middle of the country.

Population density varies wildly from one part of the country to
another.  A circle of 175-miles radius centered in Hartford, Connecticut
(or Brussels, Belgium) encompasses a LOT more people -- and a LOT more
hams -- than one centered in Billings, Montana or Kyzyl, Tuva.  One size
does not fit all.

The grid square method would probably accomodate our situation here in
Tennessee.  Don't know that it would be nearly as useful for a club in,
say, Missouri, or Colorado, or in the Pacific Northwest.  Actually I
think the existing ARRL rule is pretty fair, although it doesn't address
the situation outside the U.S..  (is there any controversy here for
non-U.S. contesters?)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66