[CQ-Contest] SS Reminders

Steve Harrison k0xp at dandy.net
Sat Nov 3 09:02:57 EST 2007

At 09:40 PM 11/2/2007 -0500, Mark Beckwith wrote:
>W0MU:
>
>> NO you are not assisted as you did not ask for
>> the assistance in my book it was unsolicited.
>
>It is not assistance until you accept it.  If you act on it, then you are
>assisted.

That implies that one can watch a spotting net but so long as you don't
actually use a spot, you're "not really assisted". I seriously doubt that
interpretation would fly with some contest sponsors.

It's like someone telling you some classified military or defense
information; you can claim "I'll listen to you but I won't act or use your
information,". Doesn't work that way; the assumption by the security folks
is that at some time, you're going to slip up and somehow act upon or use
that information inadvertently despite your best intentions not to.

The answer? In our circumstance, listening to our radio, we're obligated to
ignore the info as best we can and move on with the contest. And DO NOT
"watch DX SUMMIT but don't use a spot".

Steve, K0XP