[CQ-Contest] Why I love SS CW...

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Mon Nov 5 07:56:32 EST 2007

Hi All,

I really had a great time in SS CW this weekend.   It was not the
runs, the sweep, or anything to do with propagation.

During all those CQ's, you have time to think.   I thought about my
1st SS back in 1977, using an Eico Seven-Drifty-Three.  I remember
being very nervous and remembering to copy the exact exchange in the
ARRL-provided log sheets.   At the time, I was very involved in
traffic handling.

..That made me think of the 1st time this snot-nosed 17-year-old took
traffic from 4RN (I was living in Virginia) to EAN, working with the
"big boys".  The goal was to simply send a "dit" (received OK) every
time you received traffic -- no fills.   SS is just like that.   Bang
those exchanges out -- no fills!

SS is also a great place to "visit friends".   You remember all the
old calls and faces you have QSO'd and met over the years.
Sometimes, it's only SS that you bump into each other.

For a mode that is no longer required to get a license, I'd say CW is
alive and well.
The quality of ops on "code mode" has never been better.

I'll see you next year.

73, Gerry W1VE
N1VT this contest, WA4UUX back in 1977.