[CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status

K0HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 11:36:50 EST 2007

> I could go on and on.  But, my question is "why do we disallow some
> forms of technological advances in contesting, but allow many, many,
> many others?"  Or, do we equate the help from a "person" to the help one
> gets from a stupid computer interfaced to the internet?

Hank,

I think (dangerous at my age) that the "assisted" category is for single
operator stations which obtain operating "intelligence" (callsigns, QRG's,
etc.) >>from the efforts of other operators<<.  That "intelligence" might
come from a spotting net, a cluster, <alt-f8>, or other means where
>>another operator<< contributes information to your real-time operation.

It has nothing to do with the technology which delivers the assistance.
That information might come to you by an internet connection, packet
cluster, a carrier pigeon, or on a diskette labeled "master.dta" which you
picked up at a club meeting.

73, de Hans, K0HB