[CQ-Contest] Contest Rules - was Check numbers again

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Wed Nov 7 09:12:21 EST 2007

I fail to see what difference it makes to anyone else what check a person
decides to send or not. If the rule is enforced or not - so what?

In the SS exchange it is designed to represent the # of words in a radio
gram message header - it is not intended to pass along the precise year a
person was first licensed for some other purpose. The league picking the
last two of your year of licensing is just a convenient number to fill that
spot. Aside from that, what is the issue? Are we looking to DQ someone
because of this? Who? Why?

Does anyone really think there is an advantage to any series of two numbers?
It just doesn't matter. With QRM and QSB you can never be assured of
error-free copy no matter what numbers get sent. 55 is cool and fast, but I
wasn't even born then.

That said, I always send my real check which is 73.

I think it is the worst 2-digit check possible, because most people are so
used to hearing 73, they think that maybe they made a mistake copying it. I
have been asked for repeats of my check more than for any other SS exchange
data item in 35 years of SS CW contests.

73,

Bob W5OV
CK 73