[CQ-Contest] combination of, bragging, back-scratching

Paul J. Piercey p.piercey at nl.rogers.com
Tue Nov 6 19:07:32 EST 2007

To be perfectly honest, I am becoming less enamoured of the cluster as time
marches on.

In contests, as I mentioned before, I don't see why I should help my
competitors (or vice-versa) by giving them information that they may not get
on their own. Moreover, in Canada, we have the CCC, or Canadian Contest
Championship, which allots points for placement in various major contests.
There are no points for multi-op or assisted entries. As a result, I have
given up using the cluster for contests.

As an aside, I wonder if the SO2R phenomenon really took off due to the
advance of the cluster such that now you don't have to tune around on the
second rig but can just click on spots and pick them off. Makes it a whole
lot easier.

In general DXing it seems that the world-wide network brings out a myriad of
bad operators, many of whom either can't hear the DX or  won't believe the
DX when he says he's listening up. When the DX answers a VO1 and 250 guys
who have neither a V, an O or a 1 in their calls go back to him, repeatedly,
it just sounds bizarre. I almost think the localized clusters would be more
beneficial for dxing as the spots would be relevant to your locale as
opposed to how well a JA can hear a BY.

Anyway, I have no expectation that there is an end coming to the cluster
(nor should there be, I suppose) but I would not mourn it's removal from
contesting.

73 -- Paul VO1HE