[CQ-Contest] NIL = Not In Log

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 9 12:55:33 EST 2007

What I do is complete the exchange, log it, and then let them know that
it is a possible dup.  Quite often I am logged as VE5 instead of VA5.

Doug

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NIL = Not In Log

Yes, I too am astounded when another station sends a "QSO B4" message.
don't understand why anyone even has that message programmed in their
software.  I'm even more astounded when they persist after I reply "NO".
In
reverse, my reaction when someone calls me and my logger says it is a
dupe,
is to be THANKFUL they called me again so it may clear a possible NIL in
my
log, with its additional penalty.  I'm happy to work dupes and do so
without
breaking my run rhythm.  I often make a note to check my log later to
see if
I can figure out the problem, but it a total waste of everyone's time
during
the contest to have any discussion about "QSO B4".

Now, there is at least one top operator who disagrees with this.  He
believes he saves time by alerting the station calling that he is a dupe
and
not having to send the exchange.  I disagree because the vast majority
of
the time the other station has something wrong in his log and the two of
you
can never get it sorted out in less time than it would have taken to
simply
work and carefully log each other as if it were a new QSO.  Even in SS
with
its longer exchange.

Thanks for the reminder.

73,