[CQ-Contest] A Contester's Dilemma,

ve4xt at mts.net ve4xt at mts.net
Wed Nov 14 16:56:06 EST 2007

> A related question is what is considered sufficient for completing the
QSO, especially on CW?
> For example (say in CQWW CW):
>
> XX1XX: CQ TEST XX1XX XX1XX
> K7GK:   K7GK
> XX1XX: K7GK 5NN 14
> K7GK:   R 5NN 3
> XX1XX: <see below>
>
> case 1:
> XX1XX: TU XX1XX
> case 2:
> XX1XX: TEST XX1XX
> case 3:
> XX1XX: EE XX1XX
> case 4:
> XX1XX: EE

In this case, to me, at least, it's pretty clear: I don't send my callsign (a de
facto QRZ?) until I am as sure as I am going to be that I copied it correctly
and am ready for another call. Otherwise, I'm sure to lose your fill in the
din of a pileup. (Some lids call anyway, but they're few enough that I can
still hear you.) If I don't have you, I'm going to send AGN? or CK? or NR?
but NOT my callsign until I'm done the Q and ready to move on.

So I'd take hearing his callsign as a clear sign that he's got you and he's
ready to move on.

73, kelly
ve4xt