[CQ-Contest] East Coast Powerhouse Station Signals

Eric Hilding b38 at hilding.com
Mon Oct 8 12:59:53 EDT 2007

In the midst of mostly weak signals from the East Coast in  CQP this weekend
(I was operating portable with a low wire and teenie weenie Sigma 5 Vertical
Dipole), it seemed every time I turned around there was a monster signal
from W1UE on every band (80-15).  I made a mental note to drop Dennis/W1UE
an email today to find out what new antennas he must have put up.  I mean,
he was *consistently* LOUD when most other East coast signals were in the
soup.  I almost couldn't believe my ears when I heard Dennis rocking through
on 75M SSB (and that he copied me on the first call).

HA!  I just read Dennis' 3830 post which explained it all (below).

Congrats to Dennis on his FB CQP score, and to David, K1TTT, on his East
Coast Powerhouse Station signal(s).  Each time David extends one of his
generous invitations to the Contesting Community use his station (especially
when there is food) makes me wish I lived on the "other" coast J

FYI & 73.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust

RE:
===

                    California QSO Party

Call: W1UE

Operator(s): W1UE

Station: K1TTT

Class: SOFixed HP

QTH: MA

Operating Time (hrs): 24

Radios: SO2R

 Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs

--------------------

  160:    0      0

   80:   66     48

   40:   93    117

   20:  141    359

   15:   82     79

   10:    0      0

    6:    0      0

    2:    0      0

--------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wow!  That was fun!

Congrats to VE7SZ, N4PN, and W0BH for their fine out-of-state scores.  Hope
I didn't leave anyone out.

My apologies to those that I couldn't hear on 40 and 80M.  A cold front came
through the area about 6pm local time; I actually had to go QRT for 30 min
due to local lightning.  The noise level on 40M was a constant S6, and on
80M a constant S7 with static crash peaks on both over S9; without the West
beverage, I wouldn't have been able to hear anything.  The noise level did
slack off about 2AM Sun morning, but by then the casual ops in Ca seemed to
have gone to bed.

Still, thanks to your persistence, I was able to put a good number of
stations in the log on both bands.

160M: Heard K6XX S5 but he couldn't hear me.  No others heard.

80M: New 4-square worked great (Rohn 25 with 8 elevated radials on each)

40M: 4/4 at 180/60 ft.  Top antenna only was almost always best.

20M: 4 at 180ft or 4 at 60ft.  Top antenna was almost always best, except
when storm front was in vicinity (static hiss was 20 over)

15M: 4/4 at 120/40 ft.  Worked FB.  Band opened well about 1800Z both days,
but wasn't runnable.  Almost everyone worked on 15M was a "contester"- the
casual ops didn't seem to go to 15M to make it runnable.

10M: Not a peep.

Sweep was complete at 0023Z; last two counties worked were Tehama (N6RNO at

2250Z) and Yolo (W6OT at 0023Z).  Consistently loudest stations:  K6LA and
N6O.

Many thanks to Dave K1TTT for the use of his great station, and to all the
ops that QSYed for me.  Always nice to renew old friendships with those from
my old state.

See you next year.

Dennis W1UE (ex-NB1B)

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/