[CQ-Contest] Paddle Opinions?

Paul T. Antos wb2abd at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 18 08:11:00 EDT 2007

Good points by by responders to this thread.

It is especially true that you should probably stick to iambic if that's what you've been using. I don't really use iambic features, but I need an iambic paddle. If that's what you've been using, stay with that style.

I picked up the cheapest Begalli available at Dayton last year, only because I played with it for a half-hour and figure the longer fulcrum gives it a superb feel. I still can't believe I spent money on a new key! It replaced a Kent, which fits better in my trucks' ashtray than a Bencher ( for /M of course).

If you're serious about contesting, however, use the keyboard and learn all the stuff you can do with the keyboard ( tune VFO, swap VFO, RIT, etc. ). I've gotten quite used to not reaching for the radio, or anything else,  unless absolutely necessary. Paddles are used only when I futz something up on the keyboard, or need to respond to an unusual situation. Speaking of which, I did some serious damage to my left thumb. Although I'm right handed, I was unpleasantly suprised at how badly things go on the keyboard. Just as bad as using an alien set of paddles.

Paul WB2ABD