[CQ-Contest] Laptop and Contesting Software

Richard Thorne rmthorne at suddenlink.net
Tue Oct 23 20:02:40 EDT 2007

Bob:

I purchased a Dell laptop with XP Pro from my local dealer.  I
understand you can still get XP from Dell.

Before I purchased my Dell I went to best buy with the soundboard check
software from Writelog.  I convinced the sales guy to let me run the
software on several of the laptops.  I found that all the laptop
soundcards would not support Writelog.  It would not pass the mic audio
through to the speaker output.

Recently I solved all my keying problems with the new Micro Keyer II.
Its a single usb plug solution which supports fsk, psk, cw and ssb.  It
has its own built in sound card and supports Writelog, N1MM and others
I'm sure.  Once setup its basically automatic, just pick a mode on your
rig and go.

While its a bit expensive, its the best $$'s I've spent on a ham
accessory in a while.

Rich - N5ZC