[CQ-Contest] cqww ssb spotting report

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Mon Oct 29 17:12:03 EST 2007

WOW!  I knew we were getting LOTS of spots this weekend, but this is even
above what I expected.  Last year in CQWW SSB I recorded 48k spots.  This
year it was up to 54317 spots in the database.  And during much of this time
my node had over 200 users, 230+ at one point, last year i think i was
topped out at about 120 or so.  Much of the weekend there were over 1000
spots/hr, peaking over 1600 spots/hr Sunday.

Most spotted stations:
DX	Count
V26B	569
C50C	542
1A3A	537
HC8N	531
6Y1V	420
TS6A	369
PJ4E	353
AO8A	344
J3A	332
CQ9K	296
WP2Z	295
FY5KE	286
DR1A	271
VP5T	261
T70A	260
PJ2T	260

Busiest spotters:
Spotter	count
AA3B		1479
S52W		604
NQ4I		459
W1NT		417
RK3DZB	408
KS0T		389
K4MM		385
N2RM		370
RL3A		352
DJ1AA		340
W3LPL-4	334
K3CT		325

Unfortunately this is WAY too big to show all the details here.  So I am
going to summarize here more than usual and you can download the raw data
from my web site.  It seems that either there is a new batch of spotting
cheaters or the ones that have been out there have forgotten what showed up
last year.  What you can do to help is to put pressure on those who use
these obvious attempts to cheat and get them to play nicer with others.

Cheerleader report

spotter	dx		Spots	Total	Pct
BY1DX		BY1DX		73	73	100
KA2AEV	V26B		68	68	100
4Z5NU		4X0V		47	50	94
BG7IEU	BG7IEU	34	35	97
EA5CHA	EG5CMC	30	30	100
G0GFQ		G2B		28	28	100
MI3CMR	MI0JZZ	22	29	75
VE3KF		VE2Z		21	21	100
DO7GG		DR5A		20	27	74
DL0NG		CT9L		20	20	100

Lots of very dedicated cheerleaders this year for sure!

A 'single spotter' is someone who makes exactly one spot in the 48 hours.
In this table a high percentage of spots by 'single spotters' for non-rare
expeditions is often a sign that the spotter callsigns are being faked in
some way.  Big expeditions to really rare places often get high percentages
of dx hunters who only spot them to brag that they worked them, then turn
off their radio... High percentages for expeditions or really rare stations
are normally in the 20-30% range, 'normal' stations are usually in the
single digits.

Single spotter spots:

DX		Total	All 		DXSummit
1A3A		537	36(6%)	16(2%)
C50C		542	34(6%)	14(2%)
PA1WLB	46	31(67%)	31(67%)  more below!
HC8N		531	27(5%)	3(0%)
HP1AVS	60	25(41%)	25(41%)  more below!
TS6A		369	19(5%)	8(2%)
EA7RU		59	18(30%)	17(28%)  more below!
F5KKD		46	15(32%)	4(8%)
CX9DX		34	15(44%)	15(44%)  more below!
RK3QWW	39	14(35%)	13(33%)  more below!
CC0Y		95	14(14%)	4(4%)
3DA0WW	202	13(6%)	5(2%)

Now what is interesting about this is that I do the statistics above and the
search for suspicious looking patterns below separately... it just happens
that both searches turned up the same 5 stations above by different methods.
Then, as a 3rd input I also search the DXSummit spot inputs separately, and
find more on the same stations.... so here we go.

PA1WLB (as an example of the data I'll leave this one complete and summarize
the rest)

Single spotter spots:
Spotter	Freq		Comment
KB4RTY	14306.5	TEST STRONG 59
OK1WSD	14267.5	TNX WW TEST
PA7JWC	14306
NY2N		14277		CONTEST 59
YO7HJK	14254		59 strong CONTEST
RK6DF		14308.5	contest ww
WB4DF		14306.5	TEST
W3ER		14291		N4RJ-@:     59 CONTEST
KB4FG		14286.5	strong in NA
YO7AAS	14254		STRONG COPY CONTEST
N2MD		14306.5
KB4JKL	14277		59 CONTEST
KB4ON		14277		TNX CONTEST 59
KI4RF		14306.5	59 oppy in NA
WB1SD		14306.5	BIG SIG CONTEST
RX9HG		14306		tnx test ww ssb
N2FG		14286.5	59 contest
W3YSD		14254		tnx TEST
N2ER		14254		59 CONTEST
RK6YT		14286.5	59 contest strong
KB4WS		14268		STRONG SIG CONTEST
KB4RF		514254.7	CONTEST CQ CQ
IV3SDF	14306		Contest 59
K2HE		14306.5	59 tnx cont
N2DS		14268		TNX 59 14
JA3FDG	14306		59 ww ssb contest
K9HJ		14286.5	59   TEST
V21S		14259		contest
EA8BNM	14254		tnx TEST
RW9TY		14254		CQ CQ CONTEST
K2DS		14254		59 test ww

Observations:  lots of similar comments, does everyone really put the '59'
in their comment??  Does anyone??  And don't you love it when they brag!
Lots of integer or '.5' frequencies, obviously not a common pattern on
spots.
Call spot checks:
WB4DF - not issued
KB4FG - NOT ISSUED
KB4ON - NOT ISSUED
WB1SD - NOT ISSUED
W3YSD - NOT ISSUED
KB4RF - NOT ISSUED
In this case there is not much info on dxsummit for these spots.  They may
have been entered directly into the #cqdx irc channel, or from some other
source that dumped them into dxsummit or #cqdx.

HP1AVS (ok, i'll leave this one full size also since there is dxsummit data
for him)

Single spotter spots:
Spotter	Freq	Comment
LV5V		28430	cq ww
W0ETT		28463
J37T		28463
W5OM		28463
CQ9K		28463
XE1VY		28463
EA8AAJ	28463
CA1UGE	28463
AA1K		28463
CE1KR		28463
ZX2B		28500
LS2D		28434	CQWW
HK3TU		28462
VP8NO		28462
PY2ZY		28460	GOOD SIGNAL
KD5ZAT	28463
PU1CCC	28500
8P6EX		28463
PY2DXX	28500
CE3P		28500
CX2DDP	28490
LO7D		28460
HC8N		28463
C50C		28463
LR2F		28460

Observations: ALL integer frequencies!  VERY strange.  Almost no comments,
not unusual during a contest.  Lots of well known calls in this list of
spotters, including some rare dx and expeditions, now that is strange.

This is a group of spots for him from DXSummit, note the same IP address for
all the spots from different spotters around the world!
LO7D		28460			190.32.217.79
CX2DDP	28490			190.32.217.79
CE3P		28500			190.32.217.79
PY2DXX	28500			190.32.217.79
PY5WH		28500			190.32.217.79
PU2MJU	28500			190.32.217.79
ZX2B		28500			190.32.217.79
PU1CCC	28500			190.32.217.79
PY2ZY		28460	GOOD SIGNAL	190.32.217.79
CE1WNA	28480	signal  5-9	190.32.217.79
LV5V		28430	cq ww		190.32.217.79
LS2D		28434	CQWW		190.32.217.79
LR2F		28460			190.32.217.79
HK3TU		28462			190.32.217.79
OA4AHW	28462			190.32.217.79
VP8NO		28462			190.32.217.79
HC8N		28463			190.32.217.79
NP2B		28463			190.32.217.79
HK3Y		28463			190.32.217.79
V26B		28463			190.32.217.79
C50C		28463			190.32.217.79
WD0M		28463			190.32.217.79
J3A		28463			190.32.217.79
W5ZO		28463			190.32.217.79
CA1UGE	28463			190.32.217.79
8P6EX		28463			190.32.217.79
KD5ZAT	28463			190.32.217.79
N0KE		28463			190.32.217.79
W0ETT		28463			190.32.217.79
J37T		28463			190.32.217.79
W5OM		28463			190.32.217.79
KC2PCR	28463			190.32.217.79
XE1VY		28463			190.32.217.79
CQ9K		28463			190.32.217.79
CE1KR		28463			190.32.217.79
EA8AAJ	28463			190.32.217.79
VO1MP		28463			190.32.217.79
VE3BDN	28463			190.32.217.79
VE2Z		28463			190.32.217.79
AA1K		28463			190.32.217.79

and if there is any question left, that ip comes back to:
owner:       Cable & Wireless Panama
ownerid:     PA-CWPA1-LACNIC
responsible: Networks Operations
address:     Via España, Torre Bco. Nacional, 1,
address:     083400659 - Panama -
country:     PA

EA7RU

Single spotter spots were kind of ordinary looking.  Though split spots all
used a similar 3 digit frequency without 'qsx' which for computer loggers is
rather odd these days.

DXSummit spots from:
EC7ADZ,EA7HZ,EA7CTE,EA7CPL,EA7HZ,EC7DXU,K1WAC,K3RE,F5OLT,IK0HJU,JA1CTE
DL1KQ,UR5FLT,EA7HZ,KA1GF,WP4SF,AA2C,KA4RE,WA3OP,K2PE,KI2L
all came from 85.57.0.192
address:        Parque Empresarial La Finca
address:        Edificio 9
address:        Paseo del Club Deportivo, 1
address:        28223 Pozuelo de Alarcon
address:        Madrid, Spain

F5KKD
most spots came from F5MZN-3 node, including users
k5ya,w8zr,ja2pac,jr5vhu,gm3tt,w4is,ua4lw,hg1s, and n5au.  ALL had comments,
mostly saying zone 14 or 'cqww', both of which are rarely used by real
spotters.

Spots from DXSummit:
F2MA	21252.5	cq ww		82.121.64.136
W4JI	21214.5	Booming NA	82.121.64.136
N4DL	14330		Booming NA	82.121.64.136
W7WA	14330		zone 14	82.121.64.136

which of course is from
address:        FRANCE TELECOM/SCR
address:        48 rue Camille Desmoulins
address:        92791 ISSY LES MOULINEAUX CEDEX 9
address:        FR

CX9DX

Another one with all integer frequencies.  The only comment from 3 different
spotters was "CONTES".

DXSummit spots from
DL1H,W1ZT,DR5T,CO8U,CX2ABP,PY2AA,DL1Q,W3ED,W6KM,NE0DX
NONY,WA3KKM,N3YA,K3CT,W7SW,NA3D,AB2DE,N7ON,KQ3F,K5TR
GT6Y,EB5TR,JH7RTO,D40HP
All came from IP: 190.132.128.158
owner:       Administracion Nacional de Telecomunicaciones
ownerid:     UY-ANTA-LACNIC
responsible: ANTELDATA ANTEL URUGUAY
address:     Treinta y Tres, 1418, P.3
address:     11000 - Montevideo -
country:     UY
RK3QWW

Lots of "CQ WW" comments.  Comments included with almost all spots including
saying what antenna he was using and direction he was beaming at the time.
Got spotted by P51AC which was interesting.

DXSummit spots from around the world from IP 83.149.24.107
address:        Oleg A. Yurlov
address:        115035 30, Kadashevskaya emb.
address:        Moscow, Russian Federation

3B8GT
Why??  Not rare enough to start with?  All integer frequencies... "59"
comments on several spots from different spotters.

must have been a dialup number as the DXSummit ip address kept changing, but
they all came back to:
OrgName:    African Network Information Center
OrgID:      AFRINIC
Address:    03B3 - 3rd Floor - Ebene Cyber Tower
Address:    Cyber City
Address:    Ebene
Address:    Mauritius

A52AM and also A52AN

Again WHY???  Most spots in this small group had comments "ww".

DXSummit spots from:
OK2MD,JH6FGT,W6GFT,W7HG,OM5EW,JH6FRT,UA3DER,OH2DR
Note the common use of left handed suffixes, go type these and see what
fingers you use:
FGT, GFT, FRT, DER, DR, and maybe HG.

came from IP 202.55.191.40
netname:      SKYCC
descr:        SKYCC, VoIP and ISP, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
country:      MN

Others:
Why do these relatively rare places think they need to fake spots for
themselves????  Just call cq and with all the spotters out there you will
get spotted many more times by them without breaking rules or wasting time
playing on the internet!

A61HH - Again, this one hd most comments saying "CQWW" or "CQ WW", or one
just "WW".. all upper case as opposed to others that are often mixed case.
IP address comes back to:
org-name:       Emirates Telecommunications Corporation
org-type:       LIR
address:        Emirates Telecommunications Corporation - Etisalat
                P.O. Box 1150
                Dubai
                United Arab Emirates

There was a spotting competition in China from the looks of it, all of these
had suspicious groups of spots:
B7M, BA4T, BX5AA

Others with similar patterns that were obviously fakes include:
CV5D, F4FLQ, I4ABF, IZ2DPX, IZ5ICH, RX1CQ, XE1CQ

I expect the log checkers will ask for the data again this year like they
have the last couple years.  If you want to do your own analysis or see if
you have been flagged by any of my checks and just didn't make the hit
parade listed here you can download the excel and access files, as well as
the raw data for this summary at:
http://www.k1ttt.net/logs/2007cqwwssb_spots.zip

Just please don't ask me to explain it all to you, if you don't know how to
use complex access queries or excel or how to trace ip addresses I don't
have time to explain it all to the world.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net