[CQ-Contest] A Newcomers Question

Per Eklund per.e at kommunicera.umea.se
Wed Oct 31 07:44:34 EST 2007

If its from your own country, it may be that the QSO is worth zero points for the other station.
Then he maybe does not reply, because he have his attention to DX.

If you call a European station who is 59+20dB you have the fight with Europeans who might be
59 + 40 on his s-meter. The QRM level from the sides may be S9 + 20 on his s-meter...
Maybe its morning at your side and the band just starting to open up and you hear some strong Europeans
on 20m. In Europe its a fully crowded band in the afternoon with signal levels rarely below S9+30dB anywhere.
Signals coming from Europe, NA, Africa and Asia at the sime time.

Try call EU in the afternoon on 20m your local time, the QRM level here is much lower because most EU stations
is no longer heard here. The problem for you might be a crowded 20m in NA at local afternoon, am i right?

To avoid such problems, try to use the highest band possible, then the QRM level at the other station is
hopefully limited to those who call him. 15 and 10 are much easier to do DX-QSOs on SSB than the lower bands.
Unfortunally its solar minimum now, 10m will be much better in a few years.

73 Per SM2LIY / SM2M