[CQ-Contest] why non-contesters hate us

doug smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:17:56 EST 2007

I'd done just that - sent essentially the same message (worded
slightly differently) to the address listed for the station on
QRZ.com.  It seems to be a club station with no one specific "owner".
It didn't bounce but there has been no response.

I want to emphasize (in light of Bob's comment about stealing
frequencies from 2nd/3rd tier U.S. stations) that Europeans are by no
means the only guilty parties here - that indeed I observe the same
problem in domestic contests, or involving U.S. culprits in DX
contests.

So if you're an American offender, don't let your conscience off the
hook - and if you're in Europe, don't feel we're picking on you.
Unless you're one of the guilty parties in which case we *are* picking
on you.

I do think Bob has it pretty much right, although in this particular
case I think it was just a matter of laziness - they stepped away from
the radio, when they came back there was someone there, and they were
too lazy to go look for a different frequency.  If they'd tried, they
would have found one.

Y'know, I shouldn't suggest it but...  in that situation I'd almost
rather one leave the auto-CQ on when stepping away from the radio.  At
least that way we wouldn't waste our time trying to run on a frequency
we were going to lose in a few minutes anyway...

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66
http://www.w9wi.com