[CQ-Contest] Another answer for someone with the callsign QRZ

Barry w2up3 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 31 14:33:59 EST 2007

During the contest, on Sat. morning, while still on 20m, I saw a Cluster
spot for HV50VR on 15m.  I clicked to the freq, heard him make 2 QSOs
ending QRZ and no callsign before I decided to call.

I called, he answered.  I gave my report and asked him his callsign. The
op said, "why did you call if you don't know if I'm a dupe?"
My answer:
1.  You're my first QSO on 15m, so you can't be a dupe.
2.  I don't log QSOs unless I hear the callsign for myself.  I don't
trust the callouts.

HV50VR is 6 syllables and provides much useful information.  QRZ is 3
syllables and is worthless.
Why not end your QSOs with your call instead of QRZ?  It works well for
V47KP and many others.

73,
Barry W2UP (bring on CW!)