[CQ-Contest] WA State Salmon Run - This Weekend

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:32:46 EDT 2007

Does the fall weather make you want to head for the nearest river and wade
upstream?  You're in good company - the WA State Salmon Run is coming up
this weekend!

Time: 1600Z Sep 15 - 0700Z Sep 16 and 1600Z - 2400Z Sep 16
Frequencies: 160 - 6 meters.
Modes: SSB, CW, Digital (RTTY, PSK31 most likely)
Categories: SO (CW, SSB, Digital, Mixed; QRP/LP/HP), MO-ST (WA Club, WA
Non-club, Non-WA), Mobile (SO, MO), WA County Expedition
Exchange: RS(T) and S/P/C or WA County
QSO Points: SSB - 2 pts, CW/Digital - 4 pts
Score: QSO Points x WA counties counted once only, regardless of band and
mode (WA stations use WA counties + S/P/C)
Bonus: 500 points for a QSO with W7DX, one bonus per mode. (1500 point
maximum)

High score from each call district will receive a package of the Pacific
Northwest's finest smoked salmon.  Several plaques are available and *all*
participants will receive a handsome certificate, as well.

Complete rules, log sheets, and county abbreviations are available at
http://www.wwdxc.org.

Look for mobile stations operating from county lines - each contact counts
twice!  Once for each county!  We expect activity from all 39 counties, so
the coveted "Clean Sweep" is a possibility.

I hope to see you during my own rambles at N0AX/m.  Happy fishing!

73, Ward N0AX

Mobile station info:

N7EIE and N7EIE/m - Saturday this year I'm staying home as N7EIE, on my 3
element beam for 20-10
meters, a 3 element vertical beam on 40 meters, and a G5RV on 80.  Then on
Sunday I'll be on 20
and 15 meters as N7EIE/M from Pierce, Lewis, Skamania, and Thurston
counties.  I should be on from
Lewis county for 3 or 4 hours on CW.

N7PP (South Hill Contest Club) will be operating  6-80 mtrs SSB,
CW....Multi/2 with KW's and
SteppIR (2 ele yagi @50 ft and vertical ground mounted) antennas and two
wire antennas. Ops will
be K7MO Nick, K7LAZ Harry, W7AML Alan, KE7FKX (YL) Linda, AC7FA Don, Carol
XYL of LAZ. Operation
will be from ASO (Asotin County) 5,000 feet at WoHe Lo Lodge in the Blue
Mountains of Eastern
Washington.  Six Meter activity may be by W7AML also before and after
contest.(If we can top
Puffer Butte and on battery power)

K7S - We plan on running a contest station on both the low and high bands -
our event call sign is
K7S.  I don't know what it means to "activate" a county but K7S in the city
of North Bend, King
County, will be active during the contest if that helps.  -Larry, N7BCP

K7WA - a mobile this year with my cousin (KD7PTG) in Walla Walla - do
Asotin/Garfield and
Columbia/Walla Walla the first day, then mobile home the second day through
Franklin, Garfield,
Grant, Benton, Yakima, and Kittitas - or maybe something else.

WN7T/m - For this year's fish stick, I plan to scale the north Cascade
Highway on route 20,
probably starting at the base of Ross Lake in Whatcom Co. Saturday morning.
   I will then swim over to near the Idaho border, and then jump to Highway
2 into Spokane. Then
90 to Ritzville and onto 261. 261 to Lyon's Ferry Rd and back onto 261. 261
to 12 and then a jump
onto 127 across the Snake River and then double back to 12 and ending at
Clarkston.
   So, if I stick to this plan, I will activate the following counties:

1. WHA
2. SKAG
3. CHE
4. OKA
5. FER
6. STE
7. PEND
8. SPO
9. LIN
10. ADA
11. FRA
12. COL
13. WAL
14. GAR
15. WHI
16. ASO

   The route above assumes that the four corner axis of FRA, WAL, COL and
WHI is not accessible
for mobile operations while crossing the Snake River on 261.
   I plan to operate MOB-SO Mixed mode 160 - 6 meters with a possible 600
watts out on all HF
frequencies. I may attempt some digital operation. I have the capability,
but have never attempted
it mobile. My best choice would be with PSK31. I do have the ability to
operate digital voice with
a AOR ARD 9000 on HF, but I don't know if this would be considered a
"digital" mode, as it does
not require that a CPU be in the loop (it is a stand-alone interface).

K7ED/m - This year I hope to combine a geology tour of Eastern Washington
with some mobile Salmon
Run operations.  I'll start at Blewett Pass (the Chelan/Kittitas county
line) and then head east.
I'll try to hit Adams, Douglas, Grant, Lincoln, Stevens and Whitman counties
along the way and
Okanogan, Whatcom, and Skagit counties on the way back home.  I'll be making
stops at the Dry
Falls, Grand Coulee, Steamboat Rock, and various other geological
destinations (I've got a couple
books to give me ideas).

K9JF/p - I plan to be on the Pacific/Wahhkiakum county line on Saturday for
6-8 hours.  And then
on to Skamania and Klickitat on Sunday.

N0AX/m - I will begin from the Clallam/Jefferson county line on Saturday
morning, then drive east, activating Island, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom,
before heading to the ferry dock for a trip out to San Juan county.  I will
be active from San Juan on Saturday night and again all day on Sunday.
Operation will be primarily on 20 and 40 meters, SSB and CW.