[CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Tue Apr 1 13:01:17 EDT 2008

When considering the fact that most experienced contesters make use of
the RF gain control in order to reduce front end overload from strong
adjacent signals, the ability to "read" the signal report of weaker
stations is often diminished or impossible altogether.

I really don't care whether the sponsors keep or abolish signal reports
in contests, but I can imagine that I might feel somewhat "naked" not
saying 59 08 (often sounding like "finate") during CQ WW SSB. At the
speed we provide this exchange, I can imagine providing only 8 might not
be a long enough transmission for many ops to understand what
information you are providing, thus provoking many responses such as
"what is... my report | number| exchange | your zone?"

David ~ KY1V

Why disqualify the big gun?  Every station that works him as the
opportunity to demand a signal report.  In fact, they have the duty!
Yet, in listening to a few stations giving serial numbers only this
weekend (probably 3 or 4 hours in total), I never heard a single one ask
for a signal report.    Secondly, I disagree with the notion that a
report is entirely subjective.  The "S" part, as I understand it, is
supposed to be derived from whatever one's S-meter is reading.  So, at a
minimum, a third party, standing over the shoulder of the "giver" of the
report would be able to verify that at a given moment a signal caused a
certain S-meter to give a certain reading.
    73, Dave/KA1NCN dave at ka1n.cn