[CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

Dave/KA1NCN dave at ka1n.cn
Wed Apr 2 16:36:25 EDT 2008

Folks... some of you have commented to me (on the list and privately) that I am misunderstanding what the “S” in an RSt means.  My initial inclination was that it was whatever the signal strength meters were reading.  This lead to the question of “who decides” what the RST scale means, anyway?  After all why is “readability” expressed in a scale of five?  But, there is considerable authority that indicates that "S" is more of a "feeling" that the operator gets about how strong the signal sounds.

After looking at W4RNL’s page ( http://www.cebik.com/tales/rst.html ), I can say that I learned a lot (and we probably all could benefit from reading it).  However, as is the case with a very complete and scholarly analysis of the issue, I am left with more questions than answers about whether “S” is objective or not.

Dave/KA1NCN dave at KA1N.CN