[CQ-Contest] 59(9) redundant

Martin Luther luther7 at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 2 20:23:57 EDT 2008

I remain unconvinced by the arguments that the report should be left
out.

This has been true in some of our domestic contests here in VK for some
years now. Remembrance Day contest is the biggest VK internal contest.
Given there are only about 20 or 30 contesters in VK, in that contest I
work 300 to 400 different callsigns, so most are casual ops.

Even after a few years of no report needed most people still put in
either a report, or "you are" or Number is" or other pro-signal to let
people know to listen up.

I have experimented in this contest with:

"VK5Fxxx 35"

The "real contesters get it but most others ask for a repeat.

What works?

"VK5Fxxx 59  35

"VK5Fxxx number 35

"VK5Fxxx 35 thirtee fiva

"VK5Fxxx your 35

For casual contesters some sort of pro-signal is required. Even for us
good guys I prefer the pro-signal approach. One station in WPX just gave
me number and I found before my fingers would connect to brain I needed
to say thanks for 591305 and then the fingers typed 1305 in the numbers
column!

Finally, of course, until the rules are changed anyone not giving a
report should be disqualified for deliberate breach of the rules. The
integrity of contesting demands that should be the way it is. Anarchy is
best left to the political theorists!

Martin VK7GN

 <mailto:VK7GN at Bigpond.com> VK7GN at Bigpond.com

Tel +61 3 62602600