[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 11:26:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/23/2008 12:12:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
k5zd at charter.net writes:

Yes, I  realize that guys using code readers do not pass the "your own  ears"
requirement. Same for RTTY.  Open to suggestion on how to word  this better.

Perhaps something like, "by ear, or electronic decoding operating
concurrently from the audio presented to the operator's ear".

Skimming to find stations is a lot like using sonar to find fish.  If  you
are fishing as an excuse to drink beer in the sun, you have no need for  sonar.
If you are competing in a fishing tournament, you are competing  based on
your skill, not on who has the best sonar.  If you are a  commercial fisherman,
you need sonar to find as many fish as you  can.

To me contesting is like # 2 above. It is a matter of *finding*  and working
as many people as possible, not just working as many people as  possible.

If skimming is to not be used, perhaps we need some volunteers to send code
practice consisting of DX callsigns.  A human packet spotter would know the
difference between that and a real station, a skimmer I think not.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

listings at AOL Autos.