[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Thu Apr 24 12:22:22 EDT 2008

"Those in 8-land, 9-land, 0-land, etc. often miss short openings because they don't think a band will open. Skimmer running on a second radio or third receiver will alert the operator when those short openings/multipliers appear. Skimmer technology will not completely eliminate the advantage enjoyed by those in coastal New England but it is one more tool the single operator can employ to narrow the gap. 73, ... Joe, W4TV "

Oh, I don't know. I humbly suggest that those of us in 8, 9, and 0-land might not miss as many openings as someone who doesn't live here might think. We use our ears to listen to the second radio, or rely on years of experience operating here. If you hear a short opening in 4 land and there aren't 8's, 9's, and 0's calling it's because they don't have propagation. Not because we're too dim to pick up on a band opening.

Either way, it all seems to be a wash. If Skimmer can find band openings for a guy in Michigan it will also find band openings for guys in Vermont. The only possible way Skimmer cvould provide a tactical advantage is if 1) You know how to use it correctly, and 2) Nobody else owns one.

73 Steve K0SR