[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

Scott Robbins w4pa at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 20:59:51 EDT 2008

--- "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv at subich.com> wrote:

> > There are no technology differences between the single op
> > unassisted and single op assisted categories with one
> > exception: the delivery of callsigns and frequencies from an
> > outside source as used in the assisted category.  Whether
> > that happens via packet radio/net connection or via a piece
> > of computer software connected to a receiver is irrelevant.
>
> You're correct there is no technological difference between
> assisted and unassisted - the difference it that another PERSON
> is providing the information in the assisted class.
>
> Where the information comes from hardware/software in my own
> shack, it is no different than the use of a panadapter and/or
> one/five/seven channel decoder in WriteLog.

Wrong again, Joe.  The CQWW rules, in fact, have already addressed this.

>From the rules:
-----------
1. Single Operator High:  Those stations at which one person performs all of
the operating, logging, and spotting functions.

Those stations at which one PERSON performs ... SPOTTING functions.

A piece of computer software decoding CW signals is not a person performing a
spotting function.  If the callsign is decoded by a method other than the human
ear, that is not a person spotting a callsign, it's a machine.  A computer.  A
computer is not a person.  The rule says PERSON.  Not person operating a
computer that spots the callsigns for you.

73
Scott W4PA