[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

k3bu at optimum.net k3bu at optimum.net
Thu Apr 24 22:56:32 EDT 2008

> W4TV wrote:

> I am not advocating for unlimited use of networked skimmers
> in multiple locations any more that I am advocating that
> single operators be allowed to use remote transmitters or
> receivers. However, as long as the technology is located
> in the 500 foot/meter circle with the rest of the station
> hardware it does not constitute "assistance" under any
> reasonable definition of assistance. Assistance has always
> meant the contribution of ANOTHER PERSON whether it be on
> site (multi-operator) or remote (packet/internet/etc.).

Exactemundo!

It is another person or another skimmer, swimmer etc. outside of one's shack that constitutes assistance whatever.

Lets look at the "crime" that skimmer would bring:

1. Enhances contester's station, another technological gadget, tool to make the operator more efficient if he can master it to advantage and not to be a wheelchair.

2. What a relief from the packet racket. It works in own shack, with own antennas and equipment and not serving spots from Siberia about JAs on 80m. Pileups would be more sequenced, instead of huge pileup after packet spot. (Hate that stuff when QRP, you find the station CQing with no takers, you try to call him, only to see some multi finding and working it and posting it on packet. Then the hell breaks lose and you can wait for half an hour for pile up to die or DX fade away.)

3. Is it going to be more fun for casual contesters? Seems that yes. The result would be more activity, more points.

4. I can't wait for flood of skimmery ops. Just find good frequency, CQ and let the skimmers roll and find me and bring the points. I would not need one myself, just decent antennas and learn touch typing.

5. The "old" rules did not anticipate the skimmers, just feeding the information from outside of your station, by ANOTHER op. If the skimmer can flood your screen with 1000 spots and you can work them all, more power to you.

6. So using skimmer should be outlawed for SO, but 3 point Af/SA scoring or ZERO points for your own huge country is OK?

7. Just think what promotes activity and spirit of single operator - boy and his toys, without someone else sticking his nose into it (assisting).

8. Networked or packeted skimmers is ANOTHER ops toy, and could be actually "good" thing, flooding the packets, overloading them and maybe making them useless.

9.  I can't wait for next skimmery contest, just program it to mark my call in red, ring the bell and work me first, when they find me. Ya'll should get one and use it!

Yuri, K3BU.us with tenitis QRMing my human receptions