[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 16:34:33 EDT 2008

Stan,

I believe many have already made a compelling case that there is no such a thing as unassisted anymore- we all use some sort of automation to achieve competitive advantage- keyers, computer logging, auto-tune amplifiers, etc. Why only focus on Skimmer or DX clusters?

If we examine the type of contesters who may use such aids, we will find out that they already have a decent station that can support rapid band changes; otherwise the extra multiplier will not be worth the lost QSOs on the current band due to antenna switching, PA tuning, etc.  However, well equipped stations will always outperform "basic" stations and, therefore, the assisted category does not offer any relief to the "basic" stations.  Just think about it- if I wanted to take advantage of Skimmer, I would need at least a SO2R set-up and a SDR, which already assumes a better equipped station; do you really think that adding Skimmer to the station is going to significantly impact my competitive advantage?

At the end of the day, winning a contest takes maximum efforts in station and antenna engineering, operating strategy planning and execution, skills, and stamina.  The SO1R vs SO2R debate is perhaps a better way to address the difference in station equipment and its impact on contest categories.

Rudy N2WQ

Stan Stockton <k5go at cox.net> wrote:  Rudy N2WQ Wrote:
>  As long as it is not robots making
> the QSO and station
> transmitter/receiver are not scattered
> across the globe, let the humans use
> as much technology as they can.

Now we have something to talk about....
How do you propose eliminating that
next, rather easy step up from Skimmer -
Robotic Automated QSO machines?

It is refreshing to find that seemingly
someone who is questioning whether there
should be a category to differentiate
between someone who is working the
contest with his own skills versus using
a computer to tell him what stations are
active, what frequency they are
operating on, what they are sending,
etc. would perhaps  want to draw a line
in the sand before the whole thing is
turned into a computer game...

I assumed everyone who wanted to allow
Skimmer in the unassisted category or
wanted to diminish the whole sport by
eliminating the number one category of
entry would also welcome the next
logical step which would be to replace
the operator with machines to
automatically make the QSOs and log them
for you.

Stan, K5GO