[CQ-Contest] Contest Results

doug smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 13:03:42 EDT 2008

On 4/30/08, Paul Jones <paul at nn4f.com> wrote:
> In these days and times of ever faster computers, and mostly computer
> generated logs, anyone wonder why it still seems to take forever for the
> contest results to come out. Are the sponsors and organizers starting work
> on the results the day after the deadline, or do they wait several months???
> just a question.

Speaking for the Tennessee QSO Party, we begin working the day after
the deadline.

Final results have to wait for a couple of things.  First, you have to
have all the paper logs in - you have to wait for the log submission
deadline to pass.  Only then can you cross-check the logs for
accuracy.

At that point we can release results on the Web.  When we mail printed
results, we want the next year's rules attached -- so we can't do the
mailing until we've finalized the rules.  Finally, for those who won
something, we can't mail out results until we have the certificates
ready to enclose.

So there's at least five weeks delay in knowing the results at all.
There's likely to be another week or two (at least) in getting paper
results done.  Add to that postal delays and I don't think it would be
at all difficult to get a 2-month delay.

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66
http://www.w9wi.com