[CQ-Contest] Dollars/qso

Ulli Grunow ulli.grunow at ospreyribs.com
Tue Dec 2 03:15:28 EST 2008

Dear,

Thanks for all the well communicated thoughts about my previous post. I am
glad, that nobody took this issue negative on the large stations. that was
not my intention!

I like the idea to make your own competition with local friends in a very
similar situation and same sort of location, rather than go for a not
realistic number 1.. a matter of putting the right targets.

Randy, thanks for explaining the running cost of a well equipped station. I
totally agree with your opinion: A large investment may help and speed up
the set-up of a station, but in any case continuous maintenance, further
planning for improvements are necessary.

A good feasible plan is necessary.

May be the most important - (and most expensive here in Central Europe) is a
good location, if you try to buy the property!

But in this case we need to very creative - many stations here in Europe use
remote locations 'in the middle of somewhere' far away from their homes to
travel there for just the contest like just a container on a hilltop, etc. -
even portable operation we see often..

In my case, I use the steel factory building at the coast for a one hour
drive from my home (the factory of my brother in law), which is great and
the best I could do here in Belgium.

Creativity and focus on the main important things may partly compensate for
budget limits.

Let's keep encouraging the people with less strong cards in the game with
new ideas, to keep everybody motivated.

Sharing all the knowledge of the big-gun's  is certainly helping.. (this
already happens.)

Ulli, ON5KQ

See you in next contest on 40m SOSB with rebuild antennas.

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2008-November/163997.html