[CQ-Contest] Rising IQ This Year

Kelly Jones kjones at virtualcohesion.com
Fri Dec 5 12:27:30 EST 2008

I've been watching this thread with interest and I think Kelly (VE4XT) hit
it on the head.  While I'm more of a Dxer than contester, being on "the
other side" is worthy of comment.

Many times having a huge pileup slows the Q rate way down.  I've found that
NOT giving my call after every Q tends to thin out the pile thus increasing
my rate.  And I can certainly tell when I've been spotted.  If I am not
giving my call after every Q, I do make it a point to drop it in after every
5 or so Qs, however.

The one thing I will take issue with, however, is Kelly's illustration of
the QSO below.  Kelly says:

> Also, I don't see anything wrong with the following:
>
> pileup: xadapug%&(*&D   K1TTT    (*&)%&^$%&DLHDI&^*(%^(*&#@@
>   K1AR   &)&)^&^()*&^
> me: k1ttt 599 8
> k1ttt: 599 5
> me: k1ar 599 8
> k1ar: 599 5
> me: tu 6y1v

I see a HUGE problem with the above.  By not providing a TU, QRZ, Thanks, or
*something* between the K1TTT and K1AR QSOs, you've just indicated to the
pileup to call and call and call and that if I can get my call in on top of
some other chump, you'll take me.  Bad idea.

The other end has to control the pileup or his rate will suffer.  Not
signing your call after every Q is one method of doing this, but PLEASE
don't take calls without first indicating it's ok to call.

My 2 cents -
Kelly - N0VD