[CQ-Contest] Rising IQ This Year

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 6 19:19:53 EST 2008

Here is my take on this.  In a huge pileup when the DX station comes
back with say DL4 ?.  How many symbols do the caller's hear, excluding
the tail enders?  For myself when the symbol '?', dit dit dah dah dit
dit, is sent and I happen to miss a dit here and a dah there, I can fill
in the missing parts and still come up with '?'.  However, when say DL4
is sent and there are some missing dits or dahs, who is to say whether
the DX station sent DL3 or DJ4 or G3, you get the picture.  So many
stations come back hoping that you heard them.  IMO the worst thing you
can do in this situation is send '?'.  Because to me '?' it is an open
invitation for anybody to call.  And they do.
One method to use is to do it these ways:
DL4 (no ?) and wait for a response.
or DL4, give the report and copy the strongest DL4.
or DL4, or repeat DL4, give the report, again send DL4 and copy the
strongest DL4
or turn down the rf gain so only the 59+40 stations reach your ears.
But don't send '?' unless you wish to have the hoards descend upon you.

I would be interested to hear from some super cw contest operators and
their techniques for handling huge pile-ups.

Doug

Life is not a spectator sport.