[CQ-Contest] self help during contest

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Sun Dec 7 21:49:43 EST 2008

Larry said:

>> For that matter, why should an activity that involves only yourself not
>> be acceptable? In other words, why can't you record the contest
>> operation and use your recording, after the contest is over, to
>> check the accuracy of your log? You are not creating new QSOs,
>> only corrrecting ones that have already been made.

Hans answered:

> Grooming your log without the pressure of making the next QSO seems to me
> outside the spirit of the competition.  Sitting back with a coffee or a
> brew
> and leisurely "stepping through" each Q, maybe backing up and replaying a
> couple of times to make sure you heard an "I" instead of an "E", is not
> "checking the accuracy".  It is replaying the contest to correct errors
> that
> you made in the heat of battle.

There are "open book tests" and "closed book tests" and I imagine most
people think radio contests should be "closed book tests."  I certainly
would not value a high score as much if I knew all my competitors could just
look up the answers.

But that's just me, another boy and his radio.

Mark, N5OT