[CQ-Contest] self help during contest

Stan Stockton stan at aqity.com
Mon Dec 8 13:49:10 EST 2008

Clearly this discussion has to do more with single operator stations
than multi.  You could have a dozen operators listening to the frequency
verifying information with no thought of cheating.  However the question
of recording contacts and listening to them after the QSO is over can
still be debated, although there is probably not 3% to be gained.

In practice, I doubt that many have enough good operators who are
willing to devote their time to listening to recorded contacts and
making corrections during the contest.  Those extra guys are probably
better off working on antennas in their spare time.  3 dB is better than
3% :-)

Mistakes can be caught by operators who are not even on the same band
and corrected in the networked log, and I don't see a problem with that.

For example in the software we have been using if you pull in a packet
spot it brings in the callsign and fills the zone.  If it was a bad spot
or you didn't work him and then wipe the field, it leaves the zone,
unless you specifically overwrite it.

The next contact will possibly be logged with the incorrect zone and
several people will be all over it when they see a G logged as Zone 8.

Personally I also do not see a problem if HK0T was logged, and it was
later corrected (even in the single operator category) after 5K0T was
worked on several other bands.

Stan, K5GO