[CQ-Contest] Signal report

W3CP W3CP at CHARTER.NET
Thu Dec 11 18:42:19 EST 2008

If the signal report were one of the items checked in the logs as callsign
and zone or QTH are, we might start getting "real" reports.  I get a few in
every contest different from 5NN.  If the signal report was something that
made you lose a QSO if wrong, people like K0HB would surely send something
different from 599 to encourage actual copy.

As I recall the earlier readability, QRK, signal strength, QSA, reports were
very subjective with QSA actually being closer to signal-to-noise ratio than
strength.  The S-meter on radios changed all that, now we have a number.

73,  Jim  w3cp