[CQ-Contest] Ice Storms in NE

Chris Smith mi0lll at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 16 13:08:55 EST 2008

After seeing these pictures my deepest sympathy goes out to Matt and all the KC1XX team
and whoever else has suffered such devastation, not only financial but the amount of man hours
that has been spent by all perfecting their antenna systems is truly sad to look at.

I wonder if when the ice melts do some of the elements and booms return back to shape or
will it be permanently damaged ?.
What we worry about in this part of the world (we don't get ice loading) is high wind, which is
a small worry when compared to this.

Hoping all effected get the will power to bounce back from this and work you on the air soon.

73's

Chris
MI0LLL / GI5K

I'm not certain where our local contester found this link, but here's a
slideshow with photos of the damage at KC1XX.

http://gallery.me.com/wlmyers#100029&bgcolor=black&view=grid_

Mother nature can be a brute. Toward the end there are photos of the
"sheath" of ice on the guys, elements, and booms. I don't know how you can
design antennas for a 2" radial ice situation.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN