[CQ-Contest] De-icers

Mark Steven Williams K9GX at N4GN.COM
Tue Dec 16 20:27:26 EST 2008

Amateur astronomers use dc powered "dew removal" tape which is essentially a
resistive band encapsulated in a rubber material. Some fabricate their own
with strings of resistors.

Don't know how practical such an idea would be on large yagis, but I suppose
one could place a few such bands around or along a boom. I can't see placing
such heaters on antenna elements and such an installation on large booms
would be quite and undertaking.

In broadcast antenna applications there are two approaches, heaters in the
elements or radomes, but we're talking elements resonant at 3 meters so
physical size isn't an issue.

The images from K1TTT and KC1XX are heartbreaking. We had a severe case of
wind damage here in September when the remnants of hurricane Ike blew
through Indiana and Kentucky...but nothing on the scale of this ice storm.

73, and Merry Christmas, K9GX

Mark Steven Williams
Elizabeth, IN 47117
(812) 969-9900