[CQ-Contest] Ice Storms in NE

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 17:41:43 EST 2008

All:

I've had cases with my homemade full-sized 3L 40 (which has severe
element taper and small diameter tips) where ice loaded the elements to
the point where the tips were pointing straight down.  Jerking the beam
back and forth with the rotator caused the elements to flop around
enough that all the ice was shed and the elements sprung back to normal.

Really.

Still, these conditions were not as severe as those endured by our W1
brethren his past weekend.  My empathy goes out to those who lost
antennas.  As K3LR says, our hearts break to see the results of your
hard work damaged.

73,

Dave/K8CC

K1TTT wrote:
> In most of the cases once the boom is bent, especially if its an acute
> angle, that is a permanent loss... a smooth bow in a boom may return to
> normal if it didn't reach the elastic limit.
>
> Elements are often more surprising, they can sometimes look horribly bowed
> when ice loaded but snap right back up to normal when it melts.  In the case
> here though the ice was followed by strong winds which permanently bent or
> broke elements.
>
> If you go to my blog at
> http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2008%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#Bottom
> And scroll up to the entries for 12/12 you will see some pictures elements
> that look like horseshoes, but were still intact until the wind came up.
>

> David Robbins K1TTT
> e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
> web: http://www.k1ttt.net

>>> storm.  Hope you get power back ASAP and didn't have too much antenna