[CQ-Contest] Prefixes in WPX

Don Cassel ve3xd at rogers.com
Tue Feb 5 07:26:31 EST 2008

Interesting point Paul. I have used the /W4 suffix previously in WPX
contests and the W4 has always counted as the prefix to the best of my
knowledge. I just tested this in Writelog and when used as either a prefix
or a suffix it is recognized as a prefix for scoring and counts only once as
a mult.

The benefit of using NV4 instead of W4 (which started all this) is that it
is a rarely used prefix in the WPX and would be in great demand for a mult.
As you know this is a contest where lots of unusual prefixes appear that are
not normally used in other contests.

73, Don VE3XD/W4

>For your purposes, Don, I don't know what the benefit would be to use
anything but W4 if you have to sign with >a /W4 modifier. In this case,
wouldn't your prefix still be VE3? The W4 would be a location modifier but,
as it >doesn't come before your callsign, should it count as a prefix?

73 -- Paul VO1HE