[CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On

Andrei Stchislenok asnp3d at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:48:21 EST 2008

I carried my TS-570DG with power supply, keyer and stuff two days ago from
NY JFK through Houston to Nicaragua. Always carry on, never check in.
Doing it twice per year, no problems so far, just curious questions from TSA
guys, maybe they want Ham Radio license.
Usually telling them this is "The Radio, or car Radio"

73's Andrei YN2S - NP3D

2008/2/5, Robert Brandon <rb at austin.rr.com>:

> I carried a TS-850 "naked" to ZF last fall.  The only hassle I got was
> from
> the first boarding pass checker in the security line who was concerned
> that
> it might be heavier than the airline would allow.  I went back to the
> ticket
> counter, got an "approved carry-on" tag and went right back through.
>
> I also went through with a Yaesu FL-2100 amp last year in a carry-on bag.
> No questions.
>
> I think weight is the most important issue.  Some airlines now specify
> weight for carry-ons, but I don't think they're as methodical about
> checking
> weight for those items as they are with checked bags -- at least they're
> not
> for jet service.  On an inter-island ZF prop plane, (and also in HC8) they
> were very interested in the weight of my carry-on.
>
> It's probably a good idea to have the manual with you.
>
> Robert K5PI

73's Andrei
EW1AR-NP3D
WAS RTTY #455 from NY(all via LoTW)