[CQ-Contest] Skimmer

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at k4ro.net
Thu Feb 7 01:19:38 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:51:33AM -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> Other than assigning a call to each signal in a spectrum, is
> Skimmer really any different that an operator with his Pro III,
> 7800, Orion or Flex-5000 displaying every signal in the band (or
> +/- 50 KHz)?

Band scopes show the presence of signals. They do not IDENTIFY signals.
The skimmer (or skimmerS!) can actually IDENTIFY signals (just like
RTTY or other digital modes.)  Not only that, but wideband skimmer(s)
could potentially identify more signals per second than any human
operator possibly could.  If we don't believe this, then I submit
that we don't yet understand the implications of this technology
upon the sport of CW contesting. All that TIME saved by the skimmer
doing our work for us identifying signals is a huge advantage.

Computer decoding already exists in RTTY contesting, which I also enjoy.
The difference is, I am crystal clear on where the decoding is taking
place. RTTY contesting has a different skill set, and I applaud those
who have developed those skills.

I hope that we can find a way to preserve CW and phone contests as
one path towards developing radio listening skills. Perhaps we need
to do a better job demonstrating the satisfaction that comes from
the development of such skills.

The good news for phone ops is that it will take a LOT longer for
phone skimmer technology to mature! :-)

73

-Kirk  K4RO