[CQ-Contest] Skimmer Doom

Edward sawyered at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 07:13:31 EST 2008

There is a lot of smearing of this topic from 2 very distinct issues:

1)       a software/hardware innovation which can populate a band map
based on what the station is actually hearing thus providing a personal
version of a "packet like" tool which can then be harvested in a way
that would make actual packet use indistinguishable.
2)       the further use of this populated band map to actually have a
contest robot work the stations

Number 1 is very difficult to call assisted in my book by the current
rules definitions.  Number 2 is quite easy to call multi-operator or
just say is against the rules as a human must be part of every Q, simple
as that.  In the case of number 1, I believe that the sponsors, and this
community, will have to either take the stance that, just like golf,
there comes a time to not allow rampant technology to spoil the sport
(maybe this is the one), or change the definition of assisted to not
only include other people helping you (packet) but also allowing such a
technological change as this only in the assisted class.  Not because it
fits the current definition of assisted but because that's the right
bucket to put it in.

I believe that there should remain a pure category of contesting "a boy
and his radio station".  Station is whatever you want to put the time,
money, and importance into making it be.  One signal at a time.  A human
involved in every Q. No information provided by other humans or band
harvesters.  Is there really any reason to more complicate the
definition that that.

I remain unconvinced, until shown otherwise, that a skimmer as a data
source only, will "change the game" in contest conditions and in
conditions where things like "dit dit" is THE CALLSIGN for 5 mins while
running.  Have you worked "dit dit"?  There he is on your bandmap.
Maybe "dit dit" is new mult.

And there are 5 layers of signals that are 80 or 90 dB in signal
strength separation less than 500hz apart, etc, etc.  I'd like to have
one of those $50 wonder radios for my regular human station so I don't
have to spend $3000 plus to upgrade from my FT-1000MP Mk V.

Hopefully someone will "go for it" in ARRL DX CW before the rules change
and prove to us all how great it is.  Until then..

Ed  N1UR