[CQ-Contest] IC756PRO II RTTY Contesting Question

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Mon Feb 11 09:56:40 EST 2008

I noticed a peculiar event during the WPX RTTY Contest.  Here is what I am running...

N1MM Logger
MMTTY
SignalLink USB
IC-756 PRO II

I am using AFSK on USB-D.  The audio is being fed in from the ACC jack

What I kept seeing is that the power output on TX would go up to about 40 percent on the watt meter (both internal to the rig and the external watt meter) on the beginning of the transmission and then slow creep up to full power after about 2 or three seconds.

On the PRO II, it seemed the TX audio level control was clamping down on the audio and then letting it come up as the ALC went down.  On the ALC meter, there would be a spike of ALC and then it would decay to no ALC at all.  Only then was the power up to 100 watts.  I had compression turned off.  I think I am missing something here and was looking in the manual for a parameter that should be adjusted, but I could not find anything.

Anyone know what is going on or what I have missed?  Or, is this just the way it is?

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?