[CQ-Contest] Compact rigs for contesting and portable operation?

Kristinn Andersen kristinn1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:58:36 EST 2008

Are there any suggestions on a good compact rig from the current crop that
would work well for HF-only (perhaps also 6m) contesting and portable
operation?  As a 2nd rig, my preferences for use would be:

1) Portable op:  CW and a little SSB.  Not operating from a car, but typ.
from the summer cabin, on short hikes, so compactness and power efficiency
counts.
2) Portability for field testing of antennas, etc.
3) HF contesting:  CW, RTTY, including 160m.  Could serve as backup or for
SO2R.

Some candidates are, with pros / cons as I see them at first glance:

FT897 - Seems to be fairly portable.  Getting outdated?
FT857 - Reasonable current efficiency, small size.  Usable for contesting
(RX performance, menus,...)?
IC706 - Tried and proven.  Getting outdated?
IC7000 - Bells and whistles.  Price, performance?
K2 - Has it all (top RX, int. batt, tuner, portability, expandable to
100W,...).  Price (with all), ruggedness for portability, getting outdated?

Comments on these or other rigs for my use would be appreciated.  I will be
traveling in the US next month and would like the opportunity to pick up one
to use on the trip and bring back.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX
--
http://radio.tf3kx.googlepages.com/