[CQ-Contest] W6MHB SK

Jim Neiger n6tj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 13 18:24:24 EST 2008

It was with great sadness to learn of the passing of my friend John Beck,
W4AI  -ex W6MHB, VQ9J, ZD8J, VP2A, etc.  But a blessing too, since John was
really in poor health, and he spent his final months in a nursing home.

I knew John best from his ZD8J days.  He was already on Ascension when I
arrived in April 1968, and until my gear and call (ZD8Z) arrived, John very
kindly let me use his.  Ultimately, we shared the same shack and antennas.
He was always very supportive of my contesting from the island, and we kind
of shared the opportunities - I did 1968 CQ WW DX SSB and he did the CW
portion.  And then he really encouraged me to go after his ARRL DX CW World
Record in 1969.

Dale Strieter W4QM was always the man who kept John going, and often made
the long drive down from Cocoa Beach to Sebring to help John.

John Beck, very much a unique individual.  A Range Rat (USAF Eastern Test
Range, upon which we worked), whether from the Bahamas, Seychelles,
Ascension or Antigua, in the most classic sense.  We worked then for RCA,
and John was a Communications Engineer.  Very smart, always interesting, and
he loved CW.  Especially with his bug.

Rest in peace, old friend.

Jim Neiger   N6TJ