[CQ-Contest] FT-980 vs IC-706

Colleen Brakob cbrakob at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 17 13:17:25 EST 2008

I've had both, and for contesting I'd stay with the 980.  The 706, although
it has other advantages (portable, etc.), will be disappointing in a
contesting environment after using a 980.

73, de Hans, K0HB/W7

I was thinking of trading my 980 gear for an Icom IC-706 with Samlex PS so
I can add 6 meters to my contesting. Is this a bad move? My 980 has great
sounding receive and gives me virtually no listening fatigue. Is the
receiver performance superior on the 706 or 980? Another bonus is the 706
is more portable for camping, Field Day, etc... but the 980 has is big and
beautiful and looks like a contester's rig....
>  Any suggestions? I am not interested in any other radios and have no
extra cash (all my money is going into my antenna system upgrades)...