[CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER

Steve Harrison k0xp at dandy.net
Sun Feb 17 08:39:21 EST 2008

At 10:01 AM 2/17/2008 -0800, Eric Hilding wrote:
>So far, I've encountered the following used for 1,000 watts (let's face it -
>many are running 1.5 KW or significantly more, so the power output is really
>a joke anyway - and WHO CARES how much power someone is running anyway?):
>
>1TTT
>1K
>KW
>AK  (Gheeeeez)
>
>Maybe 40 years ago some folks sent the full 1,000 with full length zeros but
>I'm having a Senior Moment.

I don't recall them doing so: 1000 was almost always sent as 1K, EXCEPT
possibly Nose, KH6IJ, being the consumate contesting gentleman he was until
his death, may have always sent 1000 (and still beat nearly everybody).

>CONTEST SPONSORS:  Please publish a STANDARD for cut numbers (or BAN them)
>within YOUR rules and DQ those who create Unnecessary Confusion.
>
>Confusion is from the devil.

Not going to happen. It's up to the RECEIVER to interpret what's sent as a
power level. It's up to the transmitter to send his power level in a format
that can be easily and quickly interpreted and logged so he doesn't have to
repeat it. All the rules say is send your power level: they do not
stipulate whether you must spell it out in Farsi, English, nor even whether
you must send numbers or can send cut numbers: just the power level. So if
you're smart, then as the transmitter, you'll always send your report so it
can be easily and quickly understood and logged. If you don't, then you'll
obviously lose time as receivers become confused and ask for repeats.

And if, as the receiver, you're still not certain what they sent or meant,
it's up to YOU to get it clarified until you're satisfied what the other
guy sent.

It's just like the end of a Sprint QSO: you're listening for that "dit-dit"
from the other guy that acknowledges he received and understood your
exchange and when you don't get it, you ask for a clarification (i.e.:
"QSL?" or "AGN").

End of story.

Steve, K0XP