[CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER

Alfred Frugoli alfred.frugoli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:40:03 EST 2008

Hang on here everyone,

Personally I find the CQWW contest annoying, and what you're advocating
essentially turns ARRL DX into the same thing.

In CQWW all you have to do is make sure you've got the callsign correct and
the most updated zone information on your logging computer.  Then you're
done.

If there are only 5 (or even 10, or 15) possible exchanges, then I agree
with those that have suggested doing away with parts of the exchange.  In
fact, why don't we just exchange callsigns and move on.

If you don't want to copy CW, then don't.  The SSB contest is in two weeks.
If you want to copy code, then copy it, and interpret it.  It's fairly
simple.  As a stateside station in ARRL DX you're going to recieve two
number groups from the other station on the DX side.  They may include cut
numbers of some form.  If they don't make sense, ask for a fill.  If you're
not satisfied with your fill, ask again.  If a KL7 sends 599 AK, send back
KW? or 1000?.  If you get an R, or QSL, then you know you got it right.  If
not, they'll send it again.

Let's just please keep the exchange in contests meaningful, or else we'll
just have hundreds of contest events each year where all we do is exchange
callsigns.  No thanks.

73 de Al, KE1FO