[CQ-Contest] Dumbing-Down Contests?

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Feb 22 03:53:48 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov at w5ov.com>

> My point is that the default of sending 5NN had nothing to
> do with CT. And, CT did (not) force mandate the sending of 5NN.

> You could hit Shift-F2 and change the exchange message to send
> 579 or whatever you wanted.

Sure - but have you checked what is logged, rather than what
is sent?

I made a mistake in mentioning CT because people have latched
on to that, and ignored the issue of meaningless exchanges.

More specifically, my gripe is with exchanges that do not
change from QSO to QSO (or even from year to year).  If the
exchange information is known, and pre-filled by software,
there's no point in exchanging it.

If you're inclined to support the idea of replacing RST with
serial (when appropriate), I hope you'll say so.  If you are
saying you don't want anything to change, ever, then there's
nothing more to discuss.

> Do I care if the exchange is something else? No. I also
> cannot imagine why anyone would care what the exchange is.

I care when it's redundant.

73,
Paul EI5DI