[CQ-Contest] Broken hardware or lazy ops?

Matt Clauson N0QXW n0qxw at n0qxw.net
Mon Feb 25 15:24:38 EST 2008

Hello, all.  I've really started to get more into contesting, so you'll
probably be hearing me more on the air as time goes on.  This was my
first RTTY contest, and I noticed a wierd idiosyncracy.  I'm not certain
what to make of it.  Let's look at the following exchange (other
callsigns redacted to protect the guilty):

K1ABC:  CQ CQ NAQP DE K1ABC K1ABC NAQP CQ
N0QXW:  N0QXW
K1ABC:  N0QX BILL BILL VT VT N0QX
N0QXW:  N0QXW NOQXW K1ABC MATT MATT MT MT K1ABC DE N0QXW N0QXW
K1ABC:  N0QX TU QRZ DE K1ABC

As you can probably guess, my name isn't Martin and I don't live in
Texas, like the legitimate N0QX does...  Although I wish him lots and
lots of contacts.  I'd think that my hardware is putting out bogus
audio, but let's look at another busted contact from this weekend:

W4XYZ:  CQ TEST CQ TEST DE W4XYZ W4XYZ TEST
N0QXW:  N0QXW N0QXW N0QXW
W4XYZ:  N0QX WARREN WARREN AL AL N0QX
N0QXW:  N0QXW N0QXW N0QXW W4XYZ MATT MATT MT MT W4XYZ DE N0QXW N0QXW
W4XYZ:  WN0QX QSL TU DE W4XYZ QRZ?

I guess the lesson here is to not give my exchange information until I
get my callsign returned to me correctly.  Anyone else experience
something similar?

--mec