[CQ-Contest] "Kilo" or "Kilowatt"

James Cain cainjim at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 25 17:15:06 EST 2008

I would not use "kilowatt" as a phonetic for "K" because "kilowatt" is a compound word -- two words. I'd be afraid of being logged as "KW1TN."

The standard phonetic alphabet is a product of the International Civil Aviation Organization, and I was brainwashed to use it when I was an air traffic controller. But I admit that in some cases it's less than useful ... "Sierra" sure sounds like it starts with "C" to a non-English speaker. "Tango" sounds like "Romeo." And so on.

The solution is to give up 'phone and work only CW, which I have done.

Jim Cain, K1TN